Wednesday, February 29, 2012

harbinger


the wind has finally let up here in colorado.  this pushed me to go out in the sunshine to get a bit of vitamin D this morning.  what i didn't expect to find was this!  the crocus are in full glory on my south faced garden.  i also spied two lady bugs, but the wouldn't sit still long enough for me to photograph them.  it always makes me smile to see the first glimpse of spring!

i think the warm weather (and the promise of this very snowy winter being over) has my head full of new ideas.  pinterest has also been helpful.  i have seen some incredible art there lately.  it's such a great treasure trove of images!  but i am also slightly standoffish to pinterest.  a friend emailed me an article that made me wonder if the venue is safe.  when you sign on, there is lots of fine print you need to read and ponder.  for the average person pinning some recipes or craft ideas, it seems pretty innocuous.  but when i read the part that said:

By making available any Member Content through the Site, Application or Services, you hereby grant to Cold Brew Labs a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense, to use, copy, adapt, modify, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, stream, broadcast, access, view, and otherwise exploit such Member Content only on, through or by means of the Site, Application or Services.


so that basically means that if i post my art on pinterest, they have a royalty-free license to use my work in any way they would like (even to sell it) for the rest of eternity??

then there is this part:

... you represent and warrant that: (i) you either are the sole and exclusive owner of all Member Content that you make available through the Site, Application and Services or you have all rights, licenses, consents and releases that are necessary to grant to Cold Brew Labs the rights in such Member Content, as contemplated under these Terms.

so now, what i am getting is that they are telling me if i post someone else's work or content, i need to have the consent of the artist?  oh my gosh.  something to really think about, huh?  i don't want to be paranoid, but isn't that kinda scary?  i would love to hear your comments about this.  in the meantime, i took down all of my pins until i can decide what to do.

here is a link to the article that was sent to me.  please check it out!

Read more: http://technorati.com/social-media/article/pinterest-users-need-to-read-the/page-2/#ixzz1nnjy9IKG

i think i'm gonna go back to the garden now.  i need to clear out my head from thinking about the internet.  i'm sure the flowers will get me back in the mood to focus on making art.

No comments:

Post a Comment